Training:PhD Course on Computational Ontologies @ University of Bologna 2011
|Title:||PhD Course on Computational Ontologies @ University of Bologna 2011|
|Author(s):||ValentinaPresutti, AldoGangemi, EvaBlomqvist|
- PhD Course on Computational Ontologies @ University of Bologna 2011/Collaborative eXtreme Design
- PhD Course on Computational Ontologies @ University of Bologna 2011/Creating CQs
- PhD Course on Computational Ontologies @ University of Bologna 2011/Nurse representative
- PhD Course on Computational Ontologies @ University of Bologna 2011/Ontology Testing
- PhD Course on Computational Ontologies @ University of Bologna 2011/Toys and dolls
The course is divided into the following modules that include both lectures and hands-on sessions.
Module 1: Semantic Technologies and Computational ontologies
- Introduction to semantic technologies and applications, Semantic Web, the Web of Data, and computational ontologies.
- Semantic Web languages such as RDF, OWL2, and SPARQL.
- Tools for ontology editing.
- Hands-on sessions
Module 2: Semantic reengineering and refactoring
- Introduction to reengineering and refactoring, and supporting tools
- Reengineering of heterogeneous sources to OWL ontologies and RDF datasets
- Refactoring of RDF datasets and OWL ontologies
- Rule-based refactoring
- Semion method and tool
- Hands-on sessions
Module 3: Ontology design patterns and eXtreme design (XD)
- Definition of ontology design pattern (ODP) and theoretical foundation
- Types of ODPs and detailed analysis of Logical, and Content ODPs
- ODP specialization and composition.
- Overview of XD, ontology requirements and competency questions
- The XD tool
- Defining unit tests for ontologies
- Collaboration and Integration issues.
- Hands-on sessions
- NeOnToolkit (version 2.3.2 beta 278): go to the site, download the core toolkit version 2.3.2, and install some plugins.
It's Eclipse, so go to Help->SoftwareUpdates->FindAndInstall->SearchForNewFeaturesToInstall, and select Neon Toolkit Update Site: if there is no preselected update site, select the following: http://www.neon-toolkit.org/plugins/2.3.2/site.xml. Finally, select the following plugins:
as well as the related Eclipse dependencies.
- TopBraid Composer. NeOnToolkit has a substantial coverage of the functionalities needed for the overall course. In addition, it's a good idea to install the TopBraid Composer Standard Edition as well (there is a trial version you can use for one month) that will be handy for some reengineering exercises.
|May 2nd||15:30-19:00||Module 1||Sala Riunioni Busi|
|May 3rd||10:00-13:30||Module 1 (II part)||Sala Riunioni Busi|
|May 4th||10:00-13:30||Module 2||Sala Riunioni Busi|
|May 5th||10:00-18:30||Module 2 (II part)||Sala Riunioni Busi|
|May 9th||10:00-13:30||Module 3||Sala Riunioni Busi|
|May 10th||10:00-18:30||Module 3 (II part)||Sala Riunioni Busi|
|May 11th||10:00-13:30||Module 3 (III part)||Sala Riunioni Busi|
|May 12th||10:00-13:30||Module 3 (IV part)||Sala Riunioni Busi|
Participants are expected to attend all the classes of the course in order to earn the credit for the PhD CV. The course will be held at the Dipartimento of Scienze dell’Informazione of the University of Bologna. For details regarding, traveling, hotels, logistic information and any further information, please email to vpresutti@gmail.
Aldo Gangemi is a Senior Researcher at, and scientific coordinator of the Semantic Technology Laboratory of the Institute for Cognitive Sciences and Technology at the Italian National Research Council. He is co-founder of the Laboratory for Applied Ontology, leading research units in the areas of conceptual modeling, formal ontology, and ontology engineering and of the Semantic Technology Laboratory, leading research unit in the areas of semantic web technologies, ontology engineering, and natural language processing. His research topics include knowledge engineering, the semantic web, NLP, and business modeling, with about 100 publications on international refereed journals, books and conferences. He has been working in many national and EU projects, spanning from the pioneering biomedical ontology project GALEN (1992) to the current largest ontology engineering projects NeOn and IKS. He is currently coordinating the workpackage on collaborative aspects of ontology design in NeOn, and an Italian project on the use of semantic technologies in organizational intranets. He is reviewer for the EU and Italian governmental agencies, and consultant for Italian and international organizations.
Valentina Presutti is a Researcher at the Semantic Technology Laboratory of the Semantic Technology Laboratory of the Institute for Cognitive Sciences and Technology at the Italian National Research Council. She received her Ph.D. in computer science at the University of Bologna. Her research interests include ontology design good practices, ontology-driven software engineering, Semantic Wikis and CMS. She is currently one of the key researchers of the EU projects NeOn and is the CNR scientific representative for IKS project.
Eva Blomqvist is a Researcher at the Semantic Technology Laboratory of the Semantic Technology Laboratory of the Institute for Cognitive Sciences and Technology at the Italian National Research Council. She obtained her Ph.D at Linköping University. Her researcher interests focus on the Semantic Web and its applications in the business world. Specific areas include semi-automatic ontology engineering (Ontology Learning) and methods to determine semantic similairty. She is currently one of the key researchers of the EU projects NeOn and IKS.